Monday, July 18, 2005

You Are Here

Saturday I purchased a new toy. Its a Magellan Explorist 300 GPS receiver.

I've wanted a GPS unit for a while now and since my grand parents gave me a bunch of money for graduating, I finally broke down and bought one. It has pretty much all of the features that I wanted in a GPS (location, barometric altimeter, thermometer, electronic compass and basic maps). On the down side, it doesn't have the capacity to be plugged into a computer, which means that you need to actually be somewhere to enter it as a way point and the maps aren't as detailed as I might have liked. On the other hand though, the Garmin model that has the altimeter and compass and USB connectivity (which means the potential for detailed maps and uploading or downloading .loc files) was about $70 more. Software for more detailed maps also runs about $100+. For nearly two hundred dollars, I can buy alot of maps. Not only that, but since the USGS puts alot of their maps online for free, and since you can now download google maps, the issue of having a map with me becomes moot. Having a GPS now enables me to do two things in particular: entertain myself with a hobby of Geocaching and record the exact location of fossil finds so that I can eventually return to them.

No comments: