Friday, July 22, 2005

Cheeeese-bur-ger

This morning I found a black capped chickadee crumpled on the front steps of the earth science building. It's head was folded under the body but otherwise it seemed in good shape. I went inside, opened the museums, put my lunch down, grabbed a couple of bags and went back outside. While it may seem gastly to pick up dead animals wherevery you find them, it is a great way to get specimens for a comparitive osteology collection. To clean this specimen, I thought I'd give dermestid (scavenger) beetles a try. I picked the bird up in the plastic bags and the darn thing blinked at me. Not dead, still alive, can't skeletonize it. After about twenty minutes in a specimen box, while I was seeing if google could provide information on the care and rehabilitation of chickadees, the bird started to scratch at the lid and get restless. I took it outside, pulled it out of the box and it flew off just fine. It must have just been a bit dazed by a collision with a window.
As for the odd title, one of the distinctive calls of the black capped chickadee is a long high note followed by two lower shorter ones and sounds much like the words cheese burger.

No comments: