Monday, July 25, 2005

Geocache

Yesterday Hydrass, Bento and I went geocaching. For those who perhaps don't know, that's hiking around looking for a hidden box using a gps unit and given coordinates. It was a good indicator and a bad sign that when the guys showed up and asked which way we'd be going, I said "south" and pointed to the river valley in the north. The ability to lead is not necessarily a prerequisite for leadership. The hike to the first box wasn't a hard hike, but we didn't find it either. The next one was an easier find, but a harder hike. The later part of that was my fault. Pretty much every time I gave a direction, I should have said the opposite one. I partially blame the fact that the GPS unit didn't get good reception in the woods and the fact that I'm dyslexic. We got to the base of a hill and the GPS unit told me that the cache should just be a little bit to the south. I darted into the woods in that direction and ended up going a considerable distance before I found the cache. I went back and got the guys, who grumbled the entire way about all the bush-whaking. Really, who's more foolish; the fool or the fool who follows him? After this, I handed the gps over to Bento who lead us to the next cache with only minimal bush whaking (Hydrass didn't even go through the bush, preferring to take a path rather than a straight line). We found the last cache and went to Keagan's for food and drink afterwards. In all, I've learned that the longer you screw up, the harder it is to justify your incompetance with "hey, where's your sense of adventure?"

No comments: