Friday, September 10, 2004

University level unintelligence

Buying books from the university bookstore is never fun. Crowds of people lining up to buy overpriced books. Yesterday there had been a whole pile of text books for my Stat class in Subtitles, the used books store, but today there were none, leaving me rather annoyed and in need of a quick alternative. Seeing that the price of a new text with SPSS software was about $160 I decided to try to buy from an individual rather than the store. But since I was there and had cash, I bought the course book for my science and religion class. The woman at the cash register was an excellent example of garbage in; garbage out computing. With tax the book was $15.12. I gave a twenty and got $5.88 back. Anybody with any brains at all should have noticed that you shouldn't get a 5 back from 20 if the price was over 15. Whatever, I wasn't going to point this out. Later I saw that she had some how hit $2.00 before the $20.00 which meant that she still gave me the wrong change from what she entered. Whatever, I bought a chicken turnover with my small windfall.

No comments: