Tuesday, September 14, 2004

How the Money Goes

My goodness I'm spending alot lately. And as a man characteristically frugal, I have spent quite alot. Normally, getting money from me is like draiwng blood from a stone. However, despite the fact that I took out $200 from a cash machine a week ago and sold three text books for a total of $140, I only have $65 left in my wallet! Where did all that money go you might ask? The same day that I sold my books (all for 1/3 less than what I paid for them) I bought a statistics text for $80. Today alone I gave up roughly $50 at the bookstore for handouts, readings and notes for my Science and Religion course as well as $7 for a couple of 3-ring binders and forked out $40 for the lab work and photocopied text book for Paleobotany. And I've only put $5 on my one card. Ok, that explains away$182 of the $275 spent, but what about the rest of it? Perishables- those things that are quite ephemeral and therefore definately do not hold their value. And believe it or not, my boredom has driven me to actually spend money ( a fair amount too) on socializing. I went to a dance on saturday ($7) and was convinced to take swing lessons from that campus swing dance club. The first lesson is $20 and each following one is $5, and there is a $10 annual membership fee. So last night alone I spent $30 for a one hour dance lesson. Ok that brings us up to $219. I know that I spent $4 on laundry, but where on earth did the rest of it go? Have I really spent that much on Food? Could I have actually spent $56 on food in only a week!? Not possible. Ok, maybe I spent up to $30 on food, as I'm stocking up on longlasting stuff like laundry detergent, a tooth brush and toothpaste, but what the hell did I do with the rest of the damn money? Why the hell can't I account for roughly $25!?
Ok, this may seem like a piddling little sum to those of you reading this, but I don't have a job and the one I was hoping to get has just been given to someone else. Not having income sucks! I can't imagine how bad off Allan must be with roughly the same expenses and having not had income all summer.

No comments: