Friday, September 03, 2004

Paleontology delirium

As is sometimes the case when I travel, I caught some sort of stomach bug. This combined with sleeping on a very hard floor (not mattress yet) resulted in quite vivid dreams that frequently crossed partly into the waking world. As such, last night the collective finds of Charles H. And George F. Sternberg reeled through my drab apartment. Opened plaster jackets with columns of vertebrae exposed, mosasaurs, titanotheres, xiphactinus, dinosaurs, oreodons, etc. These particular visions were undoubtedly the result of the fact that I've been reading the biography of the Sternberg family of fossil hunters titled "Dinosaur Dynasty." I suppose that it's a good thing that I wasn't reading Fight Club or other such work. As much as I enjoy paleontology, I hope never to ruin it again by including it in any fever induced delirium.

No comments: