Sunday, February 13, 2005

Octogoogle

I noticed it before, and it's continued to worry me a bit; google is growing. With the advent of Google Maps, Google Scholar, Froogle and a whole bunch of other services provided to users, totally free of charge, it seem that this huge and growing corporation is doing good for the world. But then, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. I'm naturally suspicious of any major corporation and so I feel that there's going to be a price to pay for so much free information.
Google is all about connectivity, getting what you want faster, from a smaller number of sources and at low cost. Gee, where have I heard that business model before: WALMART! And we all know that a great company that is. It has single handedly destroyed small town business by undercutting and outcompeting smaller specialty shops. Google will inevitably to the same thing. The first thing that started to worry me was Scholar. For me as a private citizen, its great, because I don't have to subscribe to a database to get access to alot of my favorite research articles and see what research is being done out there. There are alot of research journals which you still have to subscribe to in order to see the archives of pdf files, but the number is shrinking. So who is this bad for? All of the database companies that used to have people systematically enter in and cross reference article titles. Next is Maps, which will likely take a significant market share away from other internet map companies and force small ones into extinction.
As a paleontologist/ biologist, I know that the fastest way for an ecosystem to experience a catastrophic breakdown is with the introduction of a new species which finds it's new home quite livable and forces the majority of other species into extinction. Right now, I'm seeing the internet's biodiversity dropping. Perhaps this is just the natural balance being reached after the internet boom of the 90's, but I see ill effects down the line.

No comments: