Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Beggars

I'm a sucker for charity, or for a good deal so when people come to my door I'm naturally inclined to listen to them. It's a good thing that Joel and Allan aren't so giving. For the first time in a month, somebody wrang our door bell. In fact two people wrang our door bell in the same day. The first guy was selling cards for Domino's Pizza. Essentially, buy tweny six dollars worth of pizza and get free break sticks. This is not such a hot deal, but there is a good chance that we would be ordering pizza sometime in the future, so it might have been a good deal. Hey, free bread sticks. Joels response: "I'm not giving you almost thirty bucks for a piece of paper and assume that you're not robbing me!" But, once an idea was planted in the heads of the masses, the craving for pizza set in. Not five minutes after the domino's guy left, Allan ordered a single extra large pizza for all of us from the "Funky Pickle" restaurant for a whopping total of $32.50. Even better, when he tipped the delivery lady a buck fifty, she gave him his change back. In other words, she chose not to get a tip.
The next person who came to our door was lucky enough to get me answering the door. It was a guy representing a battered women's shelter, asking for donations. He offered to sell me stuff that I didn't particularly need or want so I just offered to give him cash (essentially to go away). I though that I had a five in my wallet so I opened it up and saw that all I had was American money and twenties, and there was no way I was going to give him a twenty, so I told him that I only had Canadian tire money. The bastard had looked into my wallet and had the gall to say "You've got at least a twenty in there" so I explained that I'd only wanted to donate about $10 max. So the prick offered to give me change, except that it would be actual coinage. I declined and dug around in my pockets for whatever change I had; about $1.50, so asked Joel for some coin and ended giving the guy about $4.50 for his time. Buy the way, I owe Joel three bucks. God damn, I'm cheap.

No comments: