Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Revenge of the Snow Zombies

I am one of the many people who grew up loving the work of Bill Waterson, but growing up in sunny southern California meant that the wintry motif in about half of the installments of Calvin and Hobbes. However now that I live in the frozen north I've found that they've had more impact on me. In fact, I've been tempted to recreate some of Calvin's snow sculptures, particularly those in which he has snow men suffering terrible fates. But someone's beaten me to it! It was on Boing Boing and apparently someone has constructed a few of the more famous sculptures. I have to say that I don't really approve of the use of color or the embellishments that the sculptor made on the original designs, but I suppose that these may have been essential for making the snow men stand out a bit against the equally snowy background. Waterson had the advantage of being able to create distinct lines on a white background which aren't really possible in real life.

No comments: