Tuesday, January 25, 2005

The Life Aquatic

I just watched The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou and I really have to say that it wasn’t the comedy that I though it was going to be. In fact, it isn’t really a comedy at all, it’s an eclectic drama; a darn good one. You pretty much saw all of the funny parts in the trailers and just about all of the creature effects too (with a couple of important exceptions). Bill Murry’s is the only acting that is really believable as a real person, but everyone else’s is off in such a way as to set a very distinctive mood that permeates the whole movie. It’s the same with the various creatures that they encounter; they are intentionally fake looking, over the top and entirely too colorful to ever be real, but it still seems appropriate. I really didn’t pay that much attention to the credits, but it had much of the same feeling as The Royal Tenenbaums not to mention at least four of the same actors. I won’t give anything away just in case any of you haven’t seen it, but I highly recommend it if you liked The Royal Tenenbaums, just so long as you remember that it’s not really a comedy.
By the way; something that will be a point of interest for some of my readers is that David Bowie wrote most of the songs in the movie which were then translated into Portuguese.

No comments: