Thursday, June 08, 2006

Everyone's Blind But Me!

Does being able to see things that others don't mean that you're crazy or that you just have good eyes. If it's a dark grey fish on medium grey shale - good eyes, if it's UFO's - crazy. Things are kind of weird at work. I'm the only one there who doesn't actually contribute to effictive developement of the land, I'm the lone conserver. As such, nobody ever asks me anything besides "did you find any dinosaurs today." I've given up telling them that they're digging in the completely wrong rocks to find dinosaurs and that only a small handful of dinosaur bones have even ever been found in California. Mostly the foreman and the grade checker just sort of stare at me as they go by and as I walk around in a seemingly aimless pattern with my head down like I'm some sort of doped up mental patient who's wondering why the doctors ordered his shoe laces be taken away. That kind of person doesn't belong in a construction zone, but I do though. So the looks are kind of weird and the fact that conversation has degraded to one guy telling me about telling me about running marathons and another guy telling me how stupid Stalin was for ordering his air force to shoot down any UFO that they encountered because alian ships would be impervious to human weapons.
Other than that, I'm getting pretty good at dodging the machinary (not that I was failing to do so before). One might be surprized to discover that a bulldozer can actually sneak up on you, at least when you've got the roar of the two engines of each of 6 scrapers in your ears. Fear's a hell of a motivator though. When I realized that I was about 15 feet and three seconds away from being a greasy smear int the dirt I managed to climb up the trench wall pretty fast. I dare say that a coked up spider monkey couldn't have done it any faster.

No comments: