Saturday, March 04, 2006

Photographic update

It's amazing how quickly one can go through more than 256 megs of memory when taking pictures.
Here are a few for the people who don't check the "my photos" link in the sidebar.

These Moroccan mosasaur jaws which for sale by the hundreds in Tucson are all fakes. The teeth are genuine Prognathodon teeth, but they aren't really set in jaws. They are composites composed of teeth and ribs set in a matrix of sand and adhesive.


Some people at the Tucson show got a little creative with their fossils; mixing paleontology and art.


There was some very cool stuff for sale there. This is a mongolian theropod. I don't know what kind, but its probably a troodontid. With the exception of missing a little bit of it's tail, it's a perfect specimen.


of course, there were fish too.


for those of you who are fans of the lizards, this one is from the green river and cost only one quarter as much as the above dinosaur.


an unintentional goatse near the one of the host hotels in Tucson


this one is from the Quartzite show. They're supposed to be dolfins, but givin that they are green and have a virtical rather than horizonal tail fluke, they must be ichthyosaurs.


more recently, I've been able to take some excellent macro photos of the abundant lizards in the painted desert east of Cameron, AZ.


unfortunately, the climate in the painted desert is extremely dry. Consiquentially, there is no wood for me to make a fire with, which has lead me to purchase a propane camp stove now that I'm in civilization again.

For the future, there will typically be a one month lag between when I take a picture and when it ends up on-line since I max out my free flickr account very quickly and am anxious to get as many photos online so as to clear up memory on my USB key.

No comments: