Thursday, March 09, 2006

Paleo Poetry

What follows after the break is the remainder of the paleontologically inspired poetry that I came up with last night. I had been meaning to take notes on Aristotle's Historia Animalia but found my diversion much more rewarding.
Three attempts at verse:

Ode to an Elasmosaur

Among the many creatures

Who've lived in the briney deep
the plesiosaur is very special
for his neck is quite unique.

It's as long as it is slender
and supports a tiny head;
The head supports his many teeth
that fill fishes full of dread

The length of the neck is what's peculior,
as its not shared by seals, turtles or the whales.
What is this adaptation for?
It's so they can look at their own tails.

Plea From an Inverted Turtle

I am not dead.
I simply cannot right myself
as I am flipped upon my back.
I was put in this position by my rival
in a sudden sneak attack.
He did it because he got it in his head
that to be this way would be deleterious to my health
and thus my chances of survival.

The problem as I see it
arises from my shell
which keeps my feet a pointing skywards
and thus me from moving all that well.

And if you help me get right side up today
it's a courtesy I'd someday be willing to repay.

Reflections from a Mosasaur

"I am not a dinosaur,"
states a lizard gliding through the surf
"I have been much happier
For abandoning the turf.

A land lubber I am not
I much prefer the waves
going about upon the shore
is no way for a Clidastes to behave.

My yellow scales stay bright and clean
And my body long and lean
And if you wonder why I abhor the shore,
The reason's plainly seen.

I enjoy eating till I'm busting
Things a dinosaur finds disgusting
Since I could wish
For no greater dish
Than of calamary or some fish."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL your a modern or rather prehistoric shakespeare mr. will.

well good to see your adventures as a starving science major haven't left you closed to experience the drastically drift lifestyle of starving artist

off back to drumheller myself shortly. i'll be sure to say hi to everyone for you.