Thursday, January 26, 2006

Wakey wakey, now assume the position.

This morning I was awoken at 5 am by six LA county Sheriff's deputies. The reason for this is that I was sleeping in my parents' rental house, which is (with the exception of some of my stuff) currently vacent so that some remodeling can be done before my parents move in. My next door neighbor saw my van, assumed that I was a squatter and called the cops. The real irony is that even when I was a squatter in an otherwise abandoned house, nobody called the cops.
I calmly explained to the officers that I was visiting from out of town an actually belonged there. When they examined my drivers lisence, one officer asked "visiting all the way from fullerton?" It was fortunate that still had my U of A student ID in my wallet and that my parents gave me keys rather than make me use the unlocked back door like everybody else (including all six deputies). They officers checked my record and left after concluding that I didn't have any outstanding warrents that they could arrest me for.
A few of things pissed me off while they were there though. First of all, one female officer unholstered her gun and used her free time to check out the laser sight on it. They didn't seem very amused by my reference to Pen and Teller's comedy rutine about hand guns with laser sights. The important thing however is that the gun should not have been unholstered while I was on the floor with my hands behind my back. She wasn't even pointing it at me, she was just sort of aiming down the hall. Another thing that pissed me off was that it took six officers to do this. That means that they called in backup before they even got to the house. Sure, they're covering their asses, but a few could have left once I was subdued (and by subdued, I mean woken up and placed on the floor). The last thing that piqued my annoyance was that one of first things that one officer said was "we're just checking out a complaint, we're not stepping on any of your rights." My little internal monologue responded "like hell you are" but I didn't think that it'd really help my situation to say it outloud. What has our society come to when officers say "we're not stepping on your rights" rather than actually telling me what my rights are.
It didn't occur to me until right after they left to ask what legal code allowed them to enter a home without permission from the owner or a warrent. Right before writing this entry, I called up the LA County sheriff's office, got the run around for 5 minutes and then was told that forced entry is at the discression of the dispatcher depending on the situation. I wonder what they would have done if I wasn't sleeping there, if I had just parked the van overnight. Would they have towed my vehicle from a private driveway without permission of the property owner? Ah yes, it's good to be back in the land of the free secure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well apart from the gun weilding you should have insisted to hear your rights... granted it does give you an out as if they had arrested you its a mega lawsuit had they not told you that... LOL poor Will that kinda stuff can only happen to you

Anonymous said...

Wow. That is batshit insane. Glad you're ok!!

USA! USA!

-Jess