Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Waiting for answers about bad fossils

So I'm still in Quartzite. I'm waiting to hear back from Dr. Hans Larsson at McGill University about wether I'm correct in thinking that a couple of fossils being pushed by some Moroccan dealers are fakes. Actually, I think that they're composits; chimeras if you will. I think that the front end is of a mosasaur and that the back is of a crocodile. The dealers are selling them as crocodiles. Moroccans are sneaky when it comes to fossils. Alot of ammonites are really just carved bits of sandstone. A rediculous number of trilobites are either composits or total fakes. I'm waiting to hear back because I'd hate to be wrong about these fossils and miss out on a deal. The dealers are asking about $600 each, which for a mosasaur skull or a crocodile skull is cheap like borsht. Composits however have no place in museums and I'm only going after museum quality if I'm paying $600 a head.

No comments: