Sunday, October 12, 2003

SVP

Beginning wednesday morning the this year's meeting for the society of vertebrate paleontology. This will be my second such conference. This year's meeting is in St. Paul Minisota. Unfortunately I'm not quite ready to present a talk or even a poster at the conference, unlike several of my peers who are a year ahead of me. A group of five undergrad students from the U of A are going. We're all flying from Edmonton International to some airport in Winnepeg, Manitoba. If all goes correctly, there will be a car waiting for us there and we'll drive through the night and arive in St. Paul hopefully by 7:30 so that we can register and get a good seat for some of the first talks. My Advisor, Dr. Caldwell, who I have never had any intention of stabbing, should be giving a talk that morning.
In all honesty, a conference is just an excuse for over a thousand scientists to spend practically a whole week getting drunk in the eavening, then shmoozing and dropping names all day. At least that's the plan. Mostly I'll be trying to get my name out there and try to get some friendly contacts who wouldn't mind sending me some reprints of theirs. I am particularly interested in talking to Gregory S. Paul, who has yet to respond to the letter that I sent him.

No comments: