Tuesday, October 07, 2003

Help TV

A couple of weeks ago, Allan, Joel and I were quite bored and happened to be watching a program called Help TV, in which people call or write in for advice. Every once in a while, an e-mail address would come up for people to write in to. Well, Allan thought it would be funny to write in something along the lines of "I'm a chronic masterbater, what should I do?" and sent it in. I jokingly remarked "I think that my prof is steeling my research, should I just stab him?" which Allan, unbeknownst to me, wrote in with my e-mail address for reply. The following is the reply that I received just the other day:

From: "Lindsay Elleker"
Subject: Help!TV Reply to your Question
Urgent New
Will, Please don't "stab him"!
Instead, set an appointment time with him (that's good for both of you
with no distractions or interruptions). Rather than "confronting" him
maybe just ask him his thoughts: re: your research project and how
credit for the project's results is to work in the future. Do this in a
non-threatening yet collaborative way (Read "Getting to Yes" by Ury &
Fischer). Be sure to remain open-hearted, non-defensive and curious. DO NOT ACCUSE HIM AND NO THREATS! Explore all options - his and
yours!!
From, Nancy Hack
Chartered Mediator
Help!TV

Since this reply was several weeks after it was initially sent in, I was very tempted to reply:
Sorry, too late.

P.S. Once more for clarification, I did not acutally write the original e-mail, not have I ever or will I ever commit or conspire to commit murder.

No comments: