Thursday, October 23, 2008

Try Before You Buy

I walked out of the store with it, I paid money to the cashier for it, but I'm not really sold on it.  The permissive return policy of big-box stores gives one the option of having a free trial period with a product before you actually commit to it.  Lately, I've been doing this with digital cameras and Walmart.  The reason that I'm looking at a digital camera at all is that the one that I bought a couple of years ago is much too large to take around comfortably.  What I want is something pocket sized that I couple do macro photography with so that I can take it into the lab and take pictures through the microscope lenses.  I liked the macro setting of one, the battery of another, liked the anti-shake ability of both and disliked the low light settings of both.   The answer?  Keep buying and subsequently returning cameras until I find one that I really like.  I'm planning on doing the exact same thing with a graphics tablet and a hi-res scanner in the near future.  I don't know if those are even the products for me, but the ability to test it out in a real setting and then return it, not for any product defect, but for the fact that I just don't like it, or want to upgrade, is very appealing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Olympus has a pretty good camera with the Stylus 1030SW it is waterproof and drop proof so it is good in the feild at least.