Sunday, October 09, 2005

It’s like a party in my mouth and someone lit the carpet on fire.

Hermits aren’t usually known for our cooking. If a meal requires more than one pot or pan, then it is usually regarded as too complex a dish for our humble pallets. However, since I’ve sent out an open invitation for thanksgiving, I thought that I should try out some more gastronomically pleasing dishes. I made spicy chicken, coconut rice and vegetables. I modified a recipe I’d found online to fit my budget and I’ll admit that it turned out better than I’d expected.
Coconut rice: just like normal rice except you replace some of the water with coconut milk.
Spicy Chicken: Ingredients:
1. As much chicken as you plan on eating. If this is greater than one whole chicken, multiply the recipe and then consult a physician about your eating disorder.
2. One dollop of margarine (any other oil based food product will likely work, with the exception of cheeze wiz)
3. ¼ cup water
4. 5 tbsp teriyaki sauce
5. 2 tbsp vinegar
6. ½ tsp Cayenne pepper (the more you add, the spicier it gets)
7. 1 chopped clove of fresh garlic (here I interpret a clove to be one of the internal subdivisions rather than the whole thing of fresh garlic)
8. ½ inch section of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
9. Handful of chopped red onion (people with big hands should perhaps consider making more chicken)
10. Pinch of curry powder

Directions: Mix together ingredients 3 through 10. Cut up the chiken into bite-sized pieces and fry it in the margarine till it starts to discolor (about 5 minutes) then pour in the mixture. Let this boil down (I don’t like words like simmer) to a desirable volume, or until you get bored and then serve it over the rice. There, it’s so simple that a one armed chimp with palsy could do it.

No comments: