Friday, December 10, 2004

Google Does it Again

I have to say that I am very pleased with Google as a company. First of all, they own this website. But other than that, the company is making available, free of charge, alot of services that people used to pay for or might not otherwise be able to exist if not for Google's financial assistance (i.e. Blogger). If you want to buy something, go to froogle. If you want the news, go to google news. for web mail, I enjoy a free gig of space thanks to g-mail. If you want to find something on the web, well, that really depends on what you're looking for. It used to be that for everything, google.com was the best choice. As a result, those of us writing papers end up with a whole lot of useless results and very little academic. But now, there is Google Scholar which searches for academic papers only. I was rather concerned that once I eventually left a University (if every) I would no longer be able to make use of the databases which the university subscribes to, to find the papers I need. But now it's free and available anywhere with an internet connection. I can see these other databases eventually going out of business or lowering their prices to remain competitive, but that's not all that bad.

No comments: