Monday, November 02, 2009

Possible Longest Wrong Number Ever!

Generally, text messaging speeds up communication.  You can say succincltly what you want and get on with your day while you wait for an answer.  Yet text messaging has also made it so that a simple wrong number has become a gigantic hassle.  This is how the texting went:

Unknown Number: Heyy what are you doing =-)
Me: Who is this?
Unknown: Dang how many girls do you give your number that you can't remember?
Me: my phone isn't showing a name so all I can tell is it's a person in or from Calif.
Unknown: oh remember we met last weekend when you got off work and we went out and got drunk =-)
Me: No, you have the wrong number. I'm in TN and haven't been out in a while
Unknown: no I don't this is bibi right

I don't like wrong numbers.  I don't like it when people play games to make you guess who it is on the phone because they somehow think they're special and I especially don't like being told I'm wrong when I know I'm not.  Consiquently, I called the number so I could resolve the issue once and for all.  That went roughly as follows:

Me: Hello
Unknown: Hey, what's going on?
Me:  You've been texting me today and I want to let you know you've got the wrong number.
Unknown: Well, what number is it?
Me: 714 (767- ####)
Unknown: Hey, just a sec, let me check (continues conversation with person in the room with her).  No, that's the right number.  This is Bibi right?
Me:  No, I'm telling you.  I'm not Bibi and I don't know how you got my number but you either misdialed originally or something!
Unknown: Oh come on Bibi, why you got to be like that?
Me:  Why do you refuse to believe me?!  I'm not Bibi, I don't know any such person and even if I was Bibi, you should have taken this as a hint a long time ago that either way, I don't want to be hearing from you!  You've got the wrong frickin' number.  Don't text me again.

The first text was at about noon.  The end of the conversation was at about 6:30 in the evening.  A six and a half hour wrong number has to be close to some kind of record.

3 comments:

traumador said...

you have more patience then me. the instant i figured out it was a wrong number i'd just ignore them...

then again i also don't use my cellphone much :P

California Will said...

One of my chief problems in life is the belief that if you know someone is wrong, you should correct them.

Anonymous said...

Why even bother to call? It's very simple, just text "wrong number" and leave it at that. To me it sounds like you were looking for attention or really had nothing better to do.

And also why correct people when they are wrong? Just let them be and stay ignorant, most people don't like to be lectured or be corrected. Just as long as you know in your mind that you are right it's all that should matter.