Sunday, March 01, 2009

Etymology


I can't believe that I never thought to look up the etymology of 'Hermit' before.  Here it is from the Online Etymology Dictionary :

1130, from O.Fr. (h)eremite, from L.L. ermita, from Gk. eremites, lit. "person of the desert," from eremia "desert, solitude," from eremos"uninhabited." 

I had hoped that it had something to do with the solitary habits of those who traveled and would therefore have the patron god Hermes.  It still seems exceptionally appropriate that it refers to desert dwellers.  I've always felt most at home in the desert.  I think that I'll perpetuate the misnomer that has to do with Hermes as well, that way I can have the best of both origins.

2 comments:

traumador said...

i'm surprised you had never looked taht up before either!

hope things are going well in studies and such...

Boadicea said...

You will be pleased to know that there is a connection to Hermes. The ninth card of the Tarot is the Hermit. It is ruled by the zodiacal sign of Virgo. Mercury is the ruling planet of Virgo. Hermes is the Greek equivalent of the Roman god Mercury. A bit convoluted but it is there.