Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Sloth of Doubt


I was reading Douglas Adams'  "The Salmon of Doubt" and came across and interesting statement : "My absolute favorite piece of information is that young sloths are so inept that they frequently grab their own arms and legs instead of tree limbs, and fall out of trees."  This seems like a very poor thing for sloths to be doing.  Evolutionarily, that sort of thing should have been weeded out long ago.  However, when I looked up is bit of information online, all I found was references back to Douglas Adams.  This is the sort of anecdotal information that could only be gathered by direct observation, I decided to write someone who works with sloths all the time.  I wrote the Sloth Rescue Center in Costa Rica.  The following was their reply:

Oh boy, this will be a difficult myth to break, given the author from which it is quoted!
 
From what I know of Douglas Adam's writings, he sort of has fun when he writes about people, animals, events, etc., so you must take the quote from that angle. .
 
No, it isn't true. In fact to see is sloth in its habitat, moving about the rain forest canopy is like watching an exquisite ballet. They are as sure footed in the trees as are himalayan mountain goats scampering about the pinnacles of the uneven terrain of their mountains! To see a sloth move is to apprecieate the finely-tuned mastery of his environment.
 
In fact, the sloth is subject to more myths and misinformation, I think, than most mammals, and much more than he deserves!  I think it all started when early 'explorers' to the Americas named him...sloth.  One of the seven deadly sins!
 
I hope I have piqued your interest to learn more about the extraordinary sloth!
 
Slowthfully yours,
 
Judy
Sloth Sanctuary of Costa Rica
http://www.slothrescue.org

1 comment:

W said...

that's why you shouldn't believe what you read in books which are not peer reviewed. tsk tsk. I mean, imagine the book that you would write, imagine the fantastical hearsay that you would work into it. I mean, the truth is poor excuse for a lack of imagination, right.