Thursday, November 25, 2004

Irony of Ironies

Sometimes the validity of Gelnaw's Law washes over me, hitting me like a wave during fair weather. Other times, it's like a tsunami. Two excellent examples: I have my ornithology Lab final next week. To study for this I need my bird book (which I haven't been using too much until now). The other night, I discovered it was missing, completely gone, as though it evaporated into the ether. In response, I went to the library and picked up a book that is actually superior. After that, I went to the zoology museum and low and behold, there was my lab book. Wow, that's like three distinctly ironic moments in one story.
Ok, now for the second example. Today is Thanksgiving in the United States. I am an American and so typically I try to do a little something for the holiday. This year I think I'll go hungry. Why? Because I'm completely out of money from my "this is not rent money" account. I recalled seeing my ballance in Denver and still having a fair amount of money. Yesterday I tried to buy fries ($2.05 CAD) and my card was declined, so I guess registering for the GRE kind of ate into that. I actually have a fair bit o' savings (thanks to Mom and Dad) but that's locked in a savings account in California and I discontinued the checking account there because I didn't want to pay a monthly fee. Foresight would have been great there. Ok, so what do I have for rations? A single potatoe, half a bottle each of mustard and ketchup, 1/5 of a bottle of ranch dressing, 1/10th of one onion, a life saver candy, 1/4 sac of flour, and 1/2 bag of brown sugar. What a Thanks Giving feast that'll make, yum! Ok, so maybe I should use some of the cash I've got for groceries. Though I think I'll have some trouble stretching $3.21. Well, Happy Thanks Giving!

No comments: