Saturday, January 17, 2004

Wikipedia

Yesterday I was introduced to the open source encyclopedia called Wikipedia. In this encyclopedia, anybody can contribute information and anybody can edit the site. There are of course graffiti controls and your contribution may not stay very long, but that's at least quality control. I have taken it upon myself to enrich the paleontology section of the site and encourage other people that I know to do the same for their respective fields. For example, last night I corrected some rather dated information that stated that Al Romer currently had the definitive book on vertebrate paleontology and I made it to say that the currently better book is by Robert Carroll (mostly because his text is more recent and because he's coming out with a second edition which Romer (deceased) cannot). Of course, my html skills are abysmal so my contributions thus far are minor.

No comments: